Matthew recreates artwork that sparks conversation on sustainability in Johannesburg
Since the relaunch of the Stan Smith – a new touchstone in the brands journey to end plastic waste, adidas Originals partnered with South African designer Matthew Edwards to recreate Stan Smith shoes using recycled material. As an industrial designer focusing on material development and adding value to waste, this partnership was a cool way to showcase his passion. Based on the partnerships three main focuses: Recycle. Reuse. Regenerate, Matt experimented on ways he could tell the story of sustainability through the lens of the Johannesburg consumer combining street culture and recycling. The shoe acted as a blank canvas giving him freedom to recreate it using his material experiments while keeping the originality of the Stan Smith. If you’re in Joburg be sure to visit the Sandton Originals store to see Matt’s vision of turning waste into sustainable products come to life.
Join the movement and end plastic waste by changing a few things in your personal space:
- Opt for reusable cloth bags instead of plastic bags when grocery shopping.
- Say no to plastic straws and opt for a reusable straw.
- Choose products in glass containers over plastic packaging.
- Bring your own cup to coffee shops. Even paper cups are often lined with plastic.
- Sharing is caring – get your friends and family to join the movement to a cleaner future.
Always iconic. Now more sustainable. Shop the latest Stan Smith silhouettes here and at adidas Originals stores, with prices starting from R1499. Follow the conversation on adidasZA using the #ENDPLASTICWASTE and #STANSMITHFOREVER on Instagram.